To commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Peterloo Massacre, on 16th August this year Oldham Labour councillors came together with residents and campaigners from across the borough to unveil a new monument honouring those who marched from Oldham and Saddleworth.
The event was organised in conjunction with Royton Local History Society, who also produced two pamphlets for the day, about the role of Tandle Hill in preparation for Peterloo, and the gift of Tandle Hill to the people of Royton in 1919 in commemoration of the Great War.
The day included violin performances and poetry readings, including Shelley’s “We are many, they are few.” The vicar from St Paul’s Church blessed the stone, which was then unveiled by Cllr Clint Phythian as District Lead.
Local councillor budgets paid for the carving and installation of the stone, with the stone itself donated by Marshalls, a stone masonry company.
Tandle Hill has chosen for the site of the monument because it was used as a marching and drilling site by Royton radicals in advance of the demonstration, to ensure that they were organised. Then on the day they marched into Manchester, joining people elsewhere from Oldham, Saddleworth, Failworth and Chadderton on the way.
The text of the stone reads: